2003 Ford Taurus Car idles rough and sputters when restarti

KREGERR
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
For the last year or so, I've had intermittant issues with my car sputtering and idling rough when restarting. Happens when I restart after running into the store, etc. And only when the engine is warm. It did it again on Friday and now will not start at all after sitting for over a day. All other times would start fine after the engine sat for 3-4 hours. Checked fuel filter & pump and looks to be ok. Checked spark on plugs and getting spark on all 6 plugs. Any thoughts. Had it in to the dealer a month ago for an alternator and had the codes read and no codes were stored for anything releated to the issue I'm having as I asked them since I was paying the fee.
Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 3:49 PM

JAMES W.
Always look for the simple things first. When was your last set of plugs or tune up?
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 8:09 AM
KREGERR
Thanks. Plugs were changed around 50K. Would be surprised if it were the plugs as there appears to be no sense of ignition in any cylinder but you never know. Is there anything to try to see if fuel is making it to the injectors or fuel rail? Haven't gone that far, just know fuel is making its way out of the fuel filter on its way to the injectors but haven't confirmed fuel is making it into the cylinders. I've had my share of car trouble over the years and this is the first time I've had a car do nothing but just turn over. About 8 inches away from the engine as the fuel line come up from under the vehicle, there is a silver component that looks like a regualtor. I was unable to get the fuel line off this part to see if fuel was getting this far.
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 8:58 AM
JAMES W.
The little "silver thing" you see it the fuel pressure regulator. Just beyond the regulator on the fuel rail should be a "pressure tap" with a cap on it. Here is where you connect a guage to check your fuel pressure with "key on" and "key crank". You will also need to check for spark at the plug wires and injector pulse at an injector connector. Both of these are checked on "key crank".
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 3:50 PM