2002 Ford Taurus Power steering pressure line

FLOYD BROOKS
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
This model Taurus has the DOHC engine. After removing power steering pump to get to the alternator, I replaced teflon "O" ring on high pressure fiiting and reconnected H/P line to pump. Have now done this 3 times but line is still leaking from connection. Have been told there is a seal or "O" ring of some type between the fitting and the H/P line itself. My question is, can this "O" ring be replaced? I'd hate to spend $200 to replace entire line just for an "O" ring.
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009 AT 9:37 AM

MERLIN2021
POWER STEERING PUMP TO STEERING GEAR PRESSURE LINE Special Tool(s) Fig. 51: Identifying Special Tools Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO. Removal Refer to the appropriate System View illustration in DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION for hose routing and retention points. 1. Installation NOTE: Whenever a hose fitting with a seal is disconnected, a new seal must be installed. Fig. 52: Installing New Pressure Line Seal Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO. Using the special tool, install a new seal on the hose fitting. 1. Refer to the appropriate System View illustration in DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION for hose routing and retention points. Refer to SPECIFICATIONS for fastener torque specifications. 2. Fill and leak check the system. Refer to GENERAL PROCEDURES . 3. Page 1 of 1 POWER STEERING -2002 Ford Taurus SE 5/2/2009

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_seal_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_sealb_1.jpg

-2
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009 AT 10:25 AM
JCAUTO
I had a similar problem. In short, the leak can be at the fitting at either end of the line. Pump or Rack and pinion. There is an internal seal that cannot be replaced. You have to purchase a new line and put it in, or have a mechanic install it. The fittings can be tricky, they can not be torqued too tight, according to the manufacturer or they will leak. It can be a bit of a job to do the whole line. You will need stubby wrenches to get at the fitting at the rack. Also some rack and pinions have a check valve (small button type drop in valve in the high pressure port of the rack and pinion. I had a shop put a line in for me and they got it wedged in sideways and ruined my rack. They probably did not know that it was in the port of the rack. It sits in very loosely and must have turned sideways. SO if your leak is from between the nut and the line, THAT seal can not be replaced.
JC
+1
Monday, June 17th, 2013 AT 6:07 AM
JCAUTO
Also would like to note that, I spoke with the manufacturer of the pressure lines, and most of the rubber (including all of the rubber in the whole car lasts about 10 years, so If your line is that old, it would make sense to replace because your line will probably start leaking at some other rubber part.
Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 AT 5:08 PM