2001 Ford Taurus MAF Sensor fixed but runs worse

KOSS
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Automatic

About a Month ago My Wife took Our car to Autozone to test it after the check engine light came on. The car ran fine except the light was on.

The test showed to be the MAF Sensor so She purchased it and they just replaced it there. Now after getting the car back the engine light is no longer on but the car is having problems starting and cuts out when the gas is pressed hard or especially at idle.

When starting the car We now have to pump the Gas pedal to start it and it dies when placed in drive or reverse a couple times in the Morning usually.

Thanks for any help
Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 12:02 PM

BMRFIXIT
I would suspect wrong or defective MAF sensor
Check for vacuum leaks
Clean IAC valve
Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 6:44 PM
KOSS
Thank You. It was definitely a defective MAF sensor but after they replaced it the engine light came back on though and after another test now they say it needs the EGR Valve, O2 Sensors, and Intake Air Temperature Sensor replaced even though It ran fan before.

We also took the car back 3 weeks ago to ask about the MAF Sensor and instead of informing us that they are sometimes defective and offering a replacement they just sent Her home and She drove the car for 3 weeks. Could this have caused the other problems?
Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 8:08 PM
BMRFIXIT
Not really
Would start from fresh change the MAF sensor
Clear codes and drive it light come back on
Read the codes and let me know
Vacuum leak very common and hard to catch without the proper equipment
And will cause all kind of codes and misdiagnose
Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 8:57 PM
KOSS
Thanks! Just finished checking around and noticed a hissing noise and found the leak!

Much Appreciated
Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 1:11 PM
KOSS
Unfortunately We still have not fixed this problem as I first thought.

I finally broke down, took it to a shop and They said it's guess work from here with no engine light and it's probably a bad sensor since the problem is not always noticeable.

I've noticed It's definitely worse with the air on now that it's warmed up outside.

I still have the 02 sensors from when the problems first started, should I just replace them instead of returning them?
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 4:01 PM