DOOR LOCKS

2001 Ford Taurus

revdramh

December, 30, 2009 AT 7:41 AM

Locks problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 79120 miles

In cold weather: fob does not always unlock doors. Driver side door, when unlocked and opened will not close - mechanism does not work right when door is pushed against frame to close. This is 3rd winter for problem. Last December (08) after some problems and spraying in the lock mechanism, which fixed only briefly, dealer replaced driver door lock mechanism - it was fine the rest of the winter, but is now having problems again (and I have moved to another state). To this point, hitting the door's lock/unlock button several times (the one that unlocks all doors at once) will loosen the thing up so I can close the door. What might be wrong? What can I do?

Door Locks

Door Locks Are Not Working

racefan966

December, 30, 2009 AT 10:45 AM

Have you checked the door lock actuator to see if it working right. It may be that the actuator is sticking. How do the locks work with the key?

revdramh

December, 30, 2009 AT 6:12 PM

It opens ok with key, but when it is refusing to close right key will not fix that.

racefan966

December, 31, 2009 AT 10:43 AM

Ok so here are a couple of pics of the door latch and lock actuator. Now pic one is the latch open. Pic two is the latched closed. When it won't close which does your latch look like? If you can include a pic of the latch when it won't close. Now the other pic is the lock actuator, now if it won't operate correctly it will lock the latch and then it won't work correctly. Have you used a small amount of WD-40 on the latch to see if it is getting wet and freezing? Get back to me.

Latch open

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_latch_open_1.jpg

Latch closed

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_latch_closed_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_door_lock_1.gif

revdramh

January, 4, 2010 AT 7:28 AM

I sprayed some WD40 a few days ago - after sticking again one more time, it has been fine (we have had no snow or rain since I sprayed, but bitter cold). It had been sprayed other times, but the problem always returned. I assumed when the dealer agreed to change the mechanism that it was something mechanical, but obviously that 'fix' only lasted one winter.

I am not going to be able to work on it myself, so one final question: If it is water getting in and freezing, what might prevent that - that is, where is it likely the water is coming from? I'd like to know something if I take it to someone.

racefan966

January, 4, 2010 AT 11:28 AM

Well what I would do it take it to the car wash and leave it running with the heater on and the blower on high. Now use the wand and soap the door and see if it bubble up. It may be that the door isn't sealing either at the door or the window on the outside. You say the dealer replaced or fixed it. Did they replace the latch or just get it working again? Just so you know I am willing to stay with this till it is fixed so ask what ever you need to get to the solution of the problem ok.

Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Tundra
Open Hood Video
Windshield Washer Reservoir Replacement
Windshield Wiper Replacement
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Mercedes
Trunk Shock Replacement Porsche Carrera 911