2000 Ford Taurus intermittent transmission leak

KEN HARMON
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
3 or 4 times a year, my transmission will "spit up" about 1/2 cup of transmission fluid. The repairman cannot find a leak and he says the transmission is operating as it should. The car has had the transmission fluid changed every 30,000 miles in accordance with the owner's manual. The "spitting up" of the fluid occurs after the vehicle has been sitting overnight. The last two times the problem occured, there seemed to be more transmission fluid ejected and the time between the fluid loss was closer. What might be the problem and what will it take to fix it?
Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 AT 8:12 PM

JGAROFALO
My best guess is that the converter is draining back into the transmission occasionally. This could cause a slight overflow, and might cause some oil to be spilled from the vent. This would be aggravated by parking on a slope.

In any case, it is difficult to diagnose problems that are not easily repeatable. This is more of an annoyance than anything.
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 7:17 AM
59CHEVY
It could be the gasket that connects the trans and the engine together, it is happening to me right now and this is what my shop guy said was the problem, almost every morning it leaks about 1/8 of a cup but there's no problem with driving it that way as long as you carry some extra trans fluid.
Tuesday, October 6th, 2009 AT 11:45 AM
JGAROFALO
There is no gasket between the engine and transmission. Possible converter seal or overflow/vent tube.
Tuesday, October 6th, 2009 AT 4:35 PM