2000 Ford Taurus Ford Taurus losing power/or a power surge

DIXON36
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus w/101000 miles. It has seemed like it was missing for about a month or two. I had a guy test the alternator with a tester that had three lights and was pretty old, he hooked it directly to the alternator and it showed the regulator in the alternator was bad. I took it to another guy who hooked up a newer tester to the battery and it said that everything was fine with the alternator and battery. Another guy tested it by hooking up to the battery and he said he thought it was a driveability issue and there was a problem with a relay somewhere. I dont know if its the relay in the alternator or what the problem might be and I keep getting different answers. When I have the heater or a/c on and it is idling it seems like it is losing power and sometimes it shuts off, but starts right back up. When I put the windows up and down or use the power locks, or turn on the heater when driving the lights dim slightly for a brief second and then it returns to normal.
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 8:53 AM

BMRFIXIT
Check battery and battery terminals
remove clean and tighten
should also have the alternator checked using a newer machine as its more advance and can detect internal failure
alternator should be checked at different stages
with and without load
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 8:29 PM
DIXON36
Thank you for your help. I had it tested at autozone and advance auto and it says the battery and alternator are fine. This morning I turned the heater on and my interior lights are still dimming. Battery terminals were cleaned and tightened. I may have to just have someone hook it up to a computer unless you have anymore suggestions. Do you think it could be a relay? How would I test that?
Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 12:35 PM
BMRFIXIT
I doubt very much to be a relay
I would suspect a bad diode inside the alternator or bad ground
I would have it checked by local repair shop at this point
with all the respect to the gays at auto part store they dont have all what you need to check it correctly
Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 5:38 PM