ENGINE STALLS NO CODES

1999 Ford Taurus

jjordanjhj

June, 30, 2010 AT 11:42 AM

1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 99 Taurus. The other day the engine stalled when I came to a stop at a stop light. Tried restarting several times. The engine would turn over fine but would not fire. I tried restarting the car periodically over the next 45 minutes then finally cranked up like nothing every happened. I took it straight to the mechanic and they are stumped. No codes were created and they are unable to recreate the problem. Any idea what the problem could be?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

June, 30, 2010 AT 3:54 PM

Hi jjordanjhj, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Possibilities could be a failing fuel pump, also be an ignition components when it heats up to certain point it breaks such as the coil/s, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors, ignition switch and computer

The only time to catch it when it stalls is to immediately check for fuel and spark, if it happens again you need to do below with a helper to assist don't wait for it to cool down, do it right then and there

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it