1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl 140000 miles
I bought a used 1999 ford taurus about 3 months ago.
It is my first car and I don't know much about it so only after I bought it did I find all the things that were wrong with it.
I had 1 tire replaced, and it passed inspection at a garage the old owner used to frequent.
So, I am guessing he didn't even check everything.
Here are the list of problems,
1) When braking in high speed the steering wheel vibrates (the seller said he had the brakes replaced by his friend, and the garage person says the brakes needs to be replaced and would cost me $400) I have not yet fixed that, because I found that I could not trust the garage guy...
2) The horn does not work, the alarm and the key sounds work, so i guess they must have different sound makers?
3) cruise control does not work, the on light does not even turn on when i press on. Also it does not light when i turn the car key on. I saw this from your site (http://www.2carpros.com/forum/1999-ford-taurus--cruise-control-trouble-vt209102.html) and tried to run the test... when I turn the key it blinks but there is no blinks after that...
3) The car drives really rough... as if there is no shocks at all... does this mean i have to replace the struts...?? that's what the garage guy said... again the price tag was like $600...
4) the heater does not work, i tried to change the thermostat but i could not get all the bolts open... i plan to take the car to the shop for this...
5) the ABS light keeps coming on... and off on random.. the seller said it might be dead... and I should not worry since the brake works... and that i should just be careful
** Now since, the horn, abs, and cruise control don't work I dunno if the air bags works and it scares me... can you please tell me how much it SHOULD cost for me to replace each thing? Like if I had to replace the cruise control computer or something? I dunno if there is even such a thing.. but please advise something...
have the same problem?
Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 5:48 PM