1999 FORD TAURUS BOTH COOLING FANS NOT WORKING

• Tisenhour
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 226369 miles

Okay so here is what is happening.I had the headgasket replaced last week. Drove the car on the interstate for about 90 miles and everything was fine. However when I did some in town driving the (place where the coolant goes) started to bubble out of the top. So I have figured out both of my cooling fans are not working. Can you tell me if there is a way to check and see if it is the relay, sensor, or the acutual fan motor that needs to be replaced. Again the car only begins to overheat while idle or going at a low rate of speed. Interstate driving is fine with the vehicle. SO QUESTION HOW DO I CHANGE THE COOLING FAN RELAY? SO HOW CAN I FIND OUT IF IT IS THE RELAY OR THE COOLING FAN MOTOR? DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A COOLING FAN PROBLEM?

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 6:17 AM

• Wrenchtech

This car has a 2 speed fan system and the 2 speeds are controlled by separate relays so chances are slim that a relay is the problem however they are both powered by the same fuse. The location is shown in the diagram. If you do find the fuse blown, it could be an indication of an overload problem from the fan motor itself.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/561653_Relays_99_Taurus_1.jpg

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 7:05 AM
  • Tisenhour

So I am assuming number 9 is the cooling fan fuse since since the other cooling fan slot is for the relay? So I should get two relays and one fuse so I can properly test correct? Sorry I dont know the first thing about cars and trying to do this on a budget

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 7:11 AM
  • Wrenchtech

With the ability you seem to have you are going o be very limited here. About all you can do yourself is replace the fuse. Anything beyond that is going to require some in depth electrical testing and I don't think you will be able to grasp that.

+1
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 8:30 AM