Coolant Leak

AL0625
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS

1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 167k miles

Had the coolant system flushed out and about a month after the waterpump went out. I replaced the waterpump and filled the system per owners manual. Since, the 'LOW COOLANT' light remains on. The tempature gauge is not showing it is running hot. What can I do?

Sunday, February 17th, 2008 AT 11:08 AM

MERLIN2021

The low coolant sensor is in the plastic recovery tank, new revised Ford fill procedure is fill cold to the hot line...this may help, if not the sensor will need to be swapped out!

Check this out

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-is-leaking-coolant

It can help you get the problem fixed.

Sunday, February 17th, 2008 AT 11:11 AM
BBIXS
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus, 146k. It's my wifes car, PLEASE HELP. The water pump gave out, so I had it replaced. Then the radiator went out, replaced. I flushed the system, six times until clear water showed, I did this a couple of times isolating the heater core as well. Replaced the coolant reservoir. All is well, until I go uphill. Water escapes through the reservoir. Had pressure test and dye test done, all is well. Mechanic told me there are no air bubbles, oh new thermostat as well. Now my wife will not go down the hill to go grocery shopping. She says it's up to me! HELP!

Wednesday, May 3rd, 2017 AT 11:24 AM (Merged)

Have you checked for a headgasket problem?

BBIXS

Yes, it went through a dye test, with no problems, a pressure test, no problems, the oil stick is fine, no 'frothing' at the filler cap.

BBIXS

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Wednesday, May 3rd, 2017 AT 11:25 AM (Merged)

Is there any white smoke from the exhaust?

BBIXS

No, no smoke

DAVID_P35
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

What could be the cause of a coolant loss while driving? I have found no coolant in the oil, find no water coming from the tailpipe, and see no cooolant on the engine itself. The engine has been replaced recently, due to head gasket problems on the old engine. I have also replaced the thermostat, radiator, and heater core. The car never overheats, but it will build enough pressure in the cooling system to blow the radiator pressure cap after approximately 20-30 miles of driving. Can you help me with this problem?

BMRFIXIT

I would suspect a headgasket issue and it should be check for that

BUCHANANMA
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS

1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

The anti freeze leaking out of the car took fuel pump out it was good and the gasket to the fuel pump looked good. There is a leak what other area could be the problem.

BMRFIXIT

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_7005_thumbnail_2.jpg

You mean the water pump and not the fuel pump
If the leak is coming from the water pump area suspect and check timing cover gasket

MOLLY719
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS

Air Conditioning problem
1999 Ford Taurus 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 44350 miles

My air conditioner leaks coolant. My mechanic put a sealer in, about a year ago. Since then, all he does is add more freeon. He never adds more sealer, and the freeon only lasts a couple of weeks. Is this a normal way to take care of the problem?

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

No this is not the correct way to deal with this problem, what needs to be done is that a small charge of refrigerant and leak detector dye be added, this will locate the exact position that is leaking, then the correct repair can be carried out. Until this is done, you are wasting money with top ups.

CANORVICK
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS

Today I was conducting an oil change on our 1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon. For a few weeks we have been having a mixture of coolant and oil on the ground and I got the jist of it today. When I was on my back staring straight up at the plug on the oil pan (I replaced the plug and gasket, no more oil leak) I noticed whatever is situated right above the oil pan was leaking a small amount of antifreeze (diluted) quite frequently. What part is there and what are the common problems?

I tmay be a freeze plug or head gasket have a pro pressure check system to find out where

ANTHONY MILLER
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS

1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 157456 miles

Hello Sir. I'm writing to ask you can you please tell me what I need to do to fix my leak. It seems to be coming from a hose that contects to a hose with a tee shaped fitting. It maybe a heater hose but I'm not sure. I need your help !

SERVICE WRITER

Sounds like a heater hose. It may be a dealer item. The aftermarket doesn't always carry some of the hoses, especially when the get off the beaten path.

Post some pics, or stop at the dealer and talk to the parts guys. They can show an exploded view.

ANTHONY MILLER

I found out that the antifreeze leak is coming from a branched heater hose that is tee shaped which is contected to the heater core and the water pump and around the motor to another hose fitting. The leak is coming from the black plastic tee. My question is there any type of stop leak or glue that my stop the leak if I remove the hose and glue it back and then put it back on after it dryes.

SERVICE WRITER

The hose need to be replaced. Trying to band-aid it together is going to result in a failure, most likley at the least convenient time and placing you in a bad situation.

Using stop leak is also not a smart idea. Oxygen activates it. If you get na air pocket at any point the activated stop leak is going to seal up interior passages and cause a restriction.

Get the proper hose and replace it.

MMAN1994
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
  • 198 MILES

I have a 1999 taurus se 3.0 L engine and for some reason when the car runs and then gets shut off, the antifreeze starts bubbling in the resovior and overflowing out of the cap. We replaced the thermostat thinking that was the problom, and flushed out the lines, very throughly, and it is still bubbling out when it gets turned off. But then if you wait a minute and turn the car back on, it sucks the antifreeze back into the system, and then once turned off after that, it is fine. The resovior is not overfilled, and infact underfilled sometimes

Please help

Michael
michaelnorman1994@yahoo. Com