1998 FORD TAURUS EGR VALVE ASST

• Smhaskins
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS

Other Category problem
1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 145000 miles

I went to get my inspection sticker and was told there was a problem with my EGR valve. He said it may be a vacum problem. What other problems could there be with the EGR valve (i was reading over some of the messages youd previously recievd and saw where one man thought the valve may be dirty)? Secondly, where exactly is my EGR valve located and how would I go about changing it out myself? Should it be left up to a professional?

Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 5:55 PM

• Mastertechtim

What code did you have? 401? I find in most all situations that the problem is not the valve at all, it is the sensor that detects exhaust pressure that fails. This is call the dpfe sensor and is very simple to install, unscrew 2 eight mm bolts unhook 2 vacuum lines then install new part. Hope this helps

Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 6:19 PM
  • Smhaskins

It was 401. So its probably the sensor? Great i'll look into changing that out. Where is it located? Near the egr valve or in a different area alltogether?

Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 7:40 PM
  • Mastertechtim

I was reading your mind. Purchase the new sensor first it cost about 30 -40 bucks, then look at engine and try to match it up, this should be fairly easy. Look for 2 gray rubber hoses they will connect to it, there are only 2 gray hoses under the hood so this makes it even easier and you will be surprised how easy it is to replace.

Saturday, February 16th, 2008 AT 6:14 AM