1998 FORD TAURUS EGR ISSUE

• dn4192
  • 1998 Ford Taurus

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 133000 miles

I have gotten a P401 code, and it relates to a problem with the EGR valve. My questions:

1. What does the EGR system do?
2. What harm am I doing to my engine until I get this fixed?
3. How difficult is it to replace/
4. Where is it located?

Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 2:11 PM

• merlin2021

EGR= Exhaust gas recirculation system, recovers unburned vapors for re-burning in the engine. Will not pass your next state inspection and could lead to more trouble if not fixed.
Here's what to do: Pull the egr off, clean the port under it all the way to the throttle plate, I use a length of steel coathanger. Put it all back together, reset the codes, if light comes on again, replace the EGR position sensor, thats the one the two small hoses from the exhaust plug into! First make sure the EGR itself holds vacuum! If the valve dont move, it will also set P0401!

Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 2:20 PM
  • dn4192

We don't have state inspections here, so that is not an issue. Where would I find the EGR valve on my 98 ford taurus stationwagon? If I don't fix it, what long term harm might happen?

Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 3:37 PM
  • merlin2021

What can happen is engine hesitation, also the carbon will start to fill in the intake manifold, then you need to remove that and clean out the carbon, Also if too much unburned gas collects in the catalytic converters, they will be damaged. this is a 10 minute fix, Go to the local parts supply house, buy a new EGR gasket before you do it, if the EGR opens and closes and the diaphram holds air, do what I said...EGR is on top of the motor toward the passenger side, look at the back exhaust manifold, you will see a flex tube thats about an inch in diameter, loosen the large nut on the EGR then the 100 mm bolts, pull EGR off, clean both the EGR pintle, and the port, and re assemble. DONE!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_ENGINE_EGR_1.jpg

Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 4:00 PM
  • dn4192

Thanks for the info. Let me make sure I have it right.

Step 1, remove EGR valve
Step 2, use a steel coat hanger to clean out tube? Do I just insert it all the way down? How or what do I use to clean it? Am I just trying to unblock stuff?
Step 3, reinstall EGR valve reset code and see what happens/
Step 4, if still get code replace EGR valve and reset?

Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 10:50 AM
  • merlin2021

Under the EGR is a port that runs right down to the throttle plate, ream it out with the coat hangar, then spray throttle body cleaner thru it, clean throttle plate, and EGR. Make sure EGR holds vacuum! Then reassemble, clear the code, if the code resets, and you are sure the port is clear under the EGR, Replace the EGR position sensor, not the EGR!

Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 12:47 PM
  • dn4192

Okay what or how should I clean the EGR valve? Is there a certain type of cleaner, do I need to soak it in something? As for the position sensor, where is it located? Also how do I test the egr to see if it holds a vacum?

Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 1:22 PM
  • merlin2021

You seem to NOT be reading my answer thoroughly. SEE IF TH EGR holds vacuum, clean only the blacked PINTLE with soapy water, or TBI spray cleaner. Do this and see what happens. The sensor occasionally MELTS with the heat. Follow the two small tubes from that flex tube to the sensor, BE VERY gentle removing the rubber tubes, they break easily.

Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 3:17 PM