1997 Ford Taurus possible speed sensor/ transmission range

RS83QA
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
97 taurus 3.0 l. Car starts fine, but when putting in gear nothing happens at all. No sign of gear engagement at all. Put a volt meter on tr sensor & it gets power. Can't find vss on transaxle, have haynes book but picture doesn't tell much. Do I need to put car on jack stands to find vss to test w/ volt meter? Have looked at diff. Websites but not much help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Friday, June 18th, 2010 AT 12:42 PM

BMRFIXIT
Suspect an internal tranny failure and NOT a VSS

sensor is located at top end of right side of the tranny

passenger side where the right axle goes into the tranny
+1
Saturday, June 19th, 2010 AT 6:26 AM
BGBEVAN
1997 Ford Taurus. I had the classic problem indicating a intermittent failure in the VSS sensor. The speedometer didn't work and and transmission didn't shift correctly or sometimes remained in low gear when the car got hot. I looked around on the passenger side output shaft and couldn't find the sensor. I then moved to the drivers side and looked in under the exhaust manifold and there was a sensor way back in there. To verify this sensor was bad, I disconnected the wiring while the engine was cold and everything was working. The speedometer and transmission stopped working. I installed a new sensor and the speedometer and transmission worked again. My question is, did I change the VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) or the TSS(Transmission Shaft Speed)? Can either of these cause the same problem? I sort of vaguely remember when I had this same problem 100K miles ago with this same car, the mechanic had a ratchet stuck down on the passenger's side of the engine compartment where most articles say the VSS is located.
+3
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 3:55 AM