1997 Ford Taurus Cigarette Lighter Always On, Rewire To Dif

FLIPANDBOEF
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
The cigarette lighter in my 1997 Ford Taurus is always on ('hot'). As I use this for my GPS, I would love it, if I turned off the ignition, the power is also disconnected from the lighter socket.

Doing some research, I found out that in the fusebox, the lighter should be connected to fuse 20 / 5A / Integrated control panel, remote entry, cigar lighter.
Now I was thinking, would it be better to disconnect the lighter power-cable from this fuse and connect it to fuse 8 / 5A / Power antenna, radio control unit, GEM?

If so, what wires should I be looking for and would it be easy to do? I do not have much experience with the wiring in this car (or any car!), So please go easy on me ohnoes. Gif

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 4:48 PM

JGAROFALO
The wiring enters a main wiring harness, and travels throughout the area under the dash. A more reasonable solution would be to run a new wire from an accessory tap on the fuse panel directly to the lighter socket.
Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 10:53 AM
FLIPANDBOEF
Thanks for the help / suggestions, however.
Actually got a good idea from our local oreilly auto parts;
The guy there suggested to tap into the power-supply wire from the car-radio (*), as this unit only will be used for my GPS and use a 2nd power outlet for this.
Came home and directly went to work on it.
Took me about 30 mins to get everything nicely / neat done and it works like a charm!
Now I have my (GPS) power outlet turning off when I turn my key off and the original cigarette lighter is not 'touched', leaving it 'hot' and open for it's normal use ;o)

(*)Note:
My radio has 2 power-supplies: 1 that stays 'hot' all the time for the clock + memory and 1 that turns on with the key only. Obviously, I used that one ;o)
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 5:44 PM