1996 Ford Taurus timing

FLASHHEAT
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
Is it possible to have the timing belt slip or lose "teeth" if you overheat the engine hot enough? I got it hot enough for the engine to shut itself down. I was losing water/anti-freeze thru the overflow reserve, and ran it pretty "dry". After I refilled it with water, I tried to start the engine and it seemed as if I lost half the compression. (I should explain that the feeling of loss of compression only occured during my attempts at starting the car. Although I noticed a little loss of power while driving on the freeway back to my house 20 miles away.) It took 5 or more minutes of repetitive trying before it started and lots of pumping the gas --- until finally! Though it would not stay running at idle. Also it would sputter, or more accurately described "backfire", as if it had a carburator. The same thing is happening now when I attempt to start the vehicle, failing miserably. It sounds like it's backfiring back down a carburator (the cylinder is trying to fire while the piston is still on its upstroke.) If my assumption is correct, is the timing gear/belt located directly behing the water pump as in older vehicles? Is it very involved (i.E. How long should it take to do the job? Thanks
Sunday, December 16th, 2007 AT 1:36 AM

TAURUSWHEEL
If you've overheated the engine as bad as it says in your post, you'll be lucky if you haven't ruined the engine. Don't ever continue to drive when the engine is or shows indications of overheat, it is probably the worst thing that you can do. First thing I would do is a compression test, that'll tell you sort of the condition internally, post back what you find
Monday, December 24th, 2007 AT 12:46 PM