SPEEDOMETER

1995 Ford Taurus

Sportsterman80

May, 11, 2009 AT 4:44 PM

1995 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 118832 miles

I have no working speedometer I have replaced the vss, checked all cables and even hook my drill to the vss to spin the cable and the speedo works, I have pulled the speddometer housing and both gears look fine and I put that in the housing against the vss gear and it works by hand but when assembled I dont think the shaft is spinning. When I put the shaft into the transmission I can turn it by hand is this normal what could be the problem. Thanks for your help.

jgarofalo

May, 12, 2009 AT 12:34 PM

Something is moving while driving. Or is not fully engaging. There is a plastic gear on the final drive housing that may not be staying where it should. This engages another gear that is ion the shaft inside the small housing that is bloted to the transmission housing. This small gear is driven by the gear on the final drive unit, and in turn drives another gear on the top of the shaft. This gear is located in place by a thrust bearing and a roll pin. The gear on the top of this shaft is the one that drives the speedometer gear and speed sensor. One of these gears is not staying in place, or is not fully engaging. This could be a missing part (roll pin or thrust washer) or incorrectly installed part.

Sportsterman80

May, 12, 2009 AT 1:22 PM

Is it necessary to tear the transmission apart to fix the roll pin or thrust washer I really hope not I only paid 600 for the car but was hoping I could fix it without major tranny work thanks for your help

jgarofalo

May, 12, 2009 AT 5:15 PM

The only thing that would require major disassembly is the gear on the final drive assembly. Everything else can be done without removing the transmission. A good start would be to get the ATSG manual on your transmission. There is a complete breakdown and illustration of the components that make up the speedometer drive.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Dynamat Door Installation