1993 Ford Taurus Ignition Problems

EVENFL0
  • 1993 FORD TAURUS
1993 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Battery died and car wouldn't start, but starter would turn over slowly. Charged the battery with a slow charger overnight. Tried to start next day and nothing, not even the starter turning. Went out of logical order and took out starter first to have it bench tested at a local parts store. Tested fine. Got to the battery, took it out and tried to start my other car with it, nothing. So, took the battery in and it tested bad. Replaced for free due to warranty. Installed new battery and old starter, still no turn from the starter. Figured it was the ignition or simply bad wiring somewhere. Bypassed the ignition wiring by connecting the positive post of the starter to the "tabby thing" that the smaller clip wire attaches to. Not sure about the official term. Anyway, starter fired up and actually got the engine to start by doing that. Now just don't know enough to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it. Any help on how to diagnose would be greatly appreciated.
Sunday, October 25th, 2009 AT 7:22 PM

Welcome, not sure of engine litre size? If only one small wire at starter solenoid, that circuit comes from ignition switch through the trans range sensor to solenoid. That circuit should be hot with key in the crank position.
Sunday, October 25th, 2009 AT 7:36 PM
EVENFL0
First of all, thanks for the help. It's a 3.0L V6. As for the small wire coming from solenoid (besides the positive line from battery) I lose it in a bundled set of wires coming up from the connection. From there, I lose it and don't know where to check for juice. Not sure what the trans range sensor is or looks like.
Monday, October 26th, 2009 AT 8:01 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_ford_taurus_ignition_1.jpg

for automatic, manual lever position sensor. the white wire with pink tracer goes hot with the key in the start position. The red wire with light blue tracer carries voltage to starter solenoid.
Monday, October 26th, 2009 AT 9:23 AM
EVENFL0
So I tried to test if the wire from ignition to lever position sensor (neutral safety switch, right?) Was hot when key is turned to start. I pulled the connector out of the sensor and I put the positive probe from my multimeter into the connecting slot that matches with where the white/pink wire comes in. I put the negative probe to the ground at the battery post. I had someone turn the ignition and the multimeter didn't blink. Nothing. I should be getting juice there, right? Does this mean that the ignition switch in the steering column needs replacing? How do I test that? I stuck my head under there. Took of column cover, support plates, etc. And can see how the switch comes off. Just want to make sure that's the problem before I take it out, buy a new one and then find that it wasn't the problem.
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 AT 10:14 AM
There may be a multiwire connector under the dash, for circuits going to and from the dash. Info shows 5 yellow wires supply voltage to switch, all should be hot. The circuit going to neutral switch, you already have that wire color, check also. If everything checks out, either the switch or wiring circuit in steering column. On some makes and models have heard of lock cylinder not allowing ignition switch to go to start position.

Just wanted to add, any time working around steering column, disarm air-bag, where applicable.
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 AT 11:08 AM