HAS HEAVY VIBRATION WHEN STOPPED

1989 Ford Taurus

ShadowWolf14

March, 31, 2009 AT 1:29 PM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1989 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I have a 1989 Ford Taurus GL, 3.0 ohv, with an automatic transmission. Within the last year it has developed an increasingly heavier vibration that occurs only when stopped at a stoplight. Run fairly smoothly when in park and neutral and is fine once accelerating but the whole car shakes when stopped while in drive. Any idea what is causing this?

James W.

March, 31, 2009 AT 1:39 PM

When the shaking condition exists, is it like the engine is trying to die, but won't? My first thought is a problem with the idle speed control unit (IAC). Please advise.

ShadowWolf14

March, 31, 2009 AT 3:26 PM

To respond to your question, no it doesn't seem like the engine is trying to die. If anything it seems like the idle is a good bit higher than it should be (no tachometer so hard to tell but I would guess maybe as much as 600+ RPM higher than it should be) It feels kind of like having a big diesel tractor trailer truck parked next to it. The same kind of almost up and down rapid shaking. Hope that helps. Still sound like idle speed control unit?

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML