Help!

TIMATHY
  • FORD RANGER
I got a 89 ford ranger 4x4, 5 speed, 186 1337 km 2.9L v6. When I turn the key the starter grindes with the flywheel I can feel it in the shifter and won't turn over the engine, I have taking out the starter and tryed to test it but it won't work out of the engine. The gears on my starter seem in good shape and the flywheel gear looks good no chips or steel shavings the guy I got the truck from sayed it did that to him he changed the bendex(not sure what or were that is)but that would fix it for about a year. I put the starter back in it still grinds but was able to start the truck once. Any input on what is causing this would be greatly appriceated
Sunday, July 15th, 2007 AT 7:56 PM

STEFANGELA
The first thing I would be inclined to try is a new starter motor, as you can purchase one, check to see if it cures the problem, if not you can always return the starter and get your money back, so then you dont lose anything. If you find that that does not help then you may need to take a closer look at the flywheel teeth. Give these a try then come back to let me know, then I can maybe help you furhter. Good luck.
Monday, July 23rd, 2007 AT 8:03 PM