2006 Ford Ranger Low Compression

ATHEE
  • 2006 FORD RANGER
Hello Guys,
Here's the deal. I have a 2006 Ford Ranger purchased in March 2008 with 10K miles. I use it for pilot car/escort business. I now have 97K miles. Recently my check engine light came on. Engine codes showed low compression in cylinders 4 and 5. After new plugs and coil, the light still remains on. I recently took vehicle to another mechanic and after a compression check said cylinders four and five were lower than others. My truck actually runs really well; however after engines is warm it idles very rough and engine light flashes. After 1000 RPMs it smoothes on out. I have not experienced any loss of power while on the road which is quite a bit. The mechanic did some research and found where there may be some faulty valves involved. The repairs are estimated at $1500.00 Another estimate is $1200.00. I don't mind paying, I just want an honest repair. My truck is my lifeline and I have done all maintenance religiously.
Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 11:08 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

to diagnose this correctly, you can have a wet & dry comp test done or a leak down test, the wet & dry will show up any valve leaking as a wet comp test is where you add a small amount of oil to each cyl, this temporally seals the rings and if the comps stay low the leak is in the valves, a leak down test is where air is pumped into the cylinders and if thee is a leak from a valve you will hear it in the exhaust or inlet port.

Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 11:26 PM
ATHEE
Thanks for getting back. This has been going on for about six weeks. Is it ok to continue driving or will it get progressively worse.

Athee
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 9:27 AM
(HELP)
Hi, I'd request a "fuel injector relative flow" test also, - just to rule out - excess fuel could've washed cylinder walls causing low comp in two.
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 9:39 AM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

I would get this looked at ASAP as it will deteriorate and it may get to the point that I will let you down and cost more to repair.

Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 3:11 PM
NCEAGLE7
Is this a common problem with this model year? I have a 2006 Ford Ranger that I bought in 07 when it had 20,000 miles on it. It currently has 94,800 miles on it. It recently started Idling very rough and set off the check engine light. The truck runs fine once you step on the gas. I took it to a Ford Dealership today and they told me that there is low compression in cylinder 4. They told me that they would have to take the engine apart to find out what is causing the problem and even then wouldn't guarantee that they could fix the problem. Can anyone give me recommendations and tell me if this is a common issue with this vehicle?
-1
Wednesday, February 8th, 2012 AT 2:08 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Nceagle, do the wet and dry compression tests. Put about a teaspoon of engine oil in the spark plug hole and do the compression test. If the causes the compression to pop up, you have bad rings. If not, valves.

One reason I like working on cars is that you can fix anything with enough money. The dealership lied to you. Valves and rings can be fixed relatively easily by any mechanic worth his tools. They're both labor intensive jobs, so they aren't terribly cheap.

YOU can do all of the re-ringing yourself with a motor repair manual. You can also do MOST of the valve job yourself with a manual. You'll just need to take the head to a machine shop to have the new seats installed and cut.
Thursday, February 9th, 2012 AT 7:06 AM