U joint replacement instructions please?

MOTORHD
  • 2005 FORD RANGER
I have a ford ranger fx4, when ever I get on the gas I hear a squeaking clucking noise right about where the rear I think the U joint is bad.
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 6:34 PM

DL AUTOSHOP
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is the information you requested. You will need to remove the driveshaft from the truck to ease in replacement of the u-joint. Here is a tutorial showing how to remove and replace a driveshaft:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-remove-a-drive-shaft

I've attached picture steps below on how to remove the driveshaft and replace the u-joints on your truck. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Thursday, June 3rd, 2021 AT 1:21 AM
THOMAS GELSANLITER
  • 2004 FORD RANGER
There is an tinny gutteral rattling sound when frist accelerating my ranger. The sound comes from the rear of the vehicle. The sound goes away when I reach higher speeds. I'm not sure if it could be a u-joint or something to do with the transmission. Your insights are appreciated
Thursday, June 3rd, 2021 AT 10:04 AM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
Don't count out the exhaust...not hearing it of course doesn't help my post.

The exhaust can spin from a weak connection behind the converter and make odd noises.
The heatshield can contort and give a rattle as well.

A rear u-joint is fairly common on these. Symptoms can range depending on the degree of deterioration.

When they first start going bad the become stiff and tend to chirp or squeak most noticible at slower speeds.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_ujPA240003_3.jpg

The needle bearings in the caps begin to rust and swell at this point. As they begin to powderize the joint begins to have play or moves out of center causing a vibration or a klunk when put in gear.

Look for any rusty looking powder around the caps and check it for play.

Also these trucks have had issues with the right rear parking brake cable. It may be partially stuck in the engaged position Drive a block or so and feel both drum for a significant temperature difference.

Check the fluid in the rear diff and make sure it is adequate.
HERGS90
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
When I shift from either park to reverse or to drive or back and forth between the two I hear a clunking noise that comes from the differential when the gears are engaging. I don't know if it is something to be worried about or if it is just the flaw of the vehicle all I know is it never made the nois before when my parents drove it and it also sat at year not being driven so I don't know it that would have anything to do with it?
DL AUTOSHOP
Hello, I'm Danny
Here is the information you requested. You will need to remove the driveshaft from the truck to ease in replacement of the u-joint. Here is a tutorial showing how to remove and replace a driveshaft.

I've attached picture steps below on how to remove the driveshaft and replace the u-joints on your Ranger. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
OCRIM504
  • FORD RANGER
Can you tell me what is the proper size and style of socket to remove the bolts from the drive shaft to axle flange on the rear end. I don't want to take a chance of stripping the head. "Very tight, rusty"

Thanks, John
JWALTH02
I'd hit it several times with some WD40 or Knock-em-loose before trying but they could be anything from 1/2" 12point socket to a 5/8" 6point which I doubt, but really just clean them off really good and take some sockets under with you.
RIVER6453
  • FORD RANGER
I have a 97 ford ranger, 160,000 miles and while I drive it it will make a noise and the whole truck vibrates real bad. I jacked up the rear and put it in gear to see where the noise was coming from. It seems the noise is coming from the drive shaft and when in gear the drive shaft is wobbling.
SERVICE WRITER
Sounds like the u-joints had it. At either end of the shaft are ujoints that allow the shaft turn and be on an angle. If you grab the shaft with one hand and the other side of the joint with the other. Make a wringing motion and look for play. There should be none.

DON"T DRIVE IT LIKE THIS.
SERVICE WRITER

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_carrier_1.jpg

River emailed this, The carrier bearing is the problem.

Sponsored links