2005 Ford Ranger what is this noise iM hearing

MOTORHD
  • 2005 FORD RANGER
I have a ford ranger fx4, when ever I get on the gas I hear a squeeking/ rattling noise right about where the cat converter is, at first I thought this could be exhaust issues but then I thought it might be a barring at the top of the drive shaft, what is this noise comming from and how much is it going to cost me to get it fixed, thanks
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 6:34 PM

RANGERDANGER17
Most likely cat converter heat shield crawl under the truck find the cat and see if the heat shield will move if it moves it will rattle

mine did the same thing I removed it compeletly I dont sugest doing that but it is a option
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 10:16 AM
MOTORHD
This makes sense ill check it out but wouldn't the rattle get worse at higher speeds or is it just the amount of air flow coming from the engine because as soon as I let off the gas the noise quits
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 10:25 AM
RANGERDANGER17
How fast your moving doesnt effect how bad it will rattle
mine would only rattle while I was idling with the clutch in

i have seen others rattle only at 45 miles any hour or only in revearse its really easy to check

if the the heat shield moves at all it will rattle

do remember you have a heat shield on both cats and on some of the pipes so check them all
Wednesday, March 18th, 2009 AT 7:49 PM
MOTORHD
If I am at idle or when I rev the engine in nutral there is no noise also the heat shield is solid as a rock both of them im convinced that I blew a barring in the transfer case becaus it only occurrs when I am comming from a stand still, the harder I press on the accellerator the worse it gets, but it quits when I get to about 45 mph
Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 1:45 PM
RANGERDANGER17
If that was the case it would only do it in 4 wheel drive it could be internal cat problem
Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 5:10 PM
MOTORHD
Possibly im having it checked out saturday ill tell them to check both parts to see if they can figure it out
Monday, March 23rd, 2009 AT 7:25 AM
RANGERDANGER17
Sounds good to me
Monday, March 23rd, 2009 AT 9:09 AM