Tail lights not working?

YFZ450RACER
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
Fx4 level II, tail lights don't work but flashers, brake lights adn dash lights do. What is my problem?
Friday, October 19th, 2007 AT 5:14 PM

2CEXPT
Do you have headlights if so the headlight switch is defective-it has an open in park position. No headlights check fuse no.33 15amp at battery junction box at left rear side of engine compartment. Here are the running light wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works and a guide. to help you check the connections.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please run this test and get back to us.
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 AT 11:11 AM
YFZ450RACER
Yes I have headlights, high beam and low beam, just no tail lights.
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 AT 11:11 AM
2CEXPT
What about brake lights? If so you have an open wire between the switch and lights.
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 AT 11:11 AM
KINDRED58
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
I have a ranger that has Brake and turn signals, but no rear parking or license plate lights. Have front parking so sw must be good right? Just in the back
Saturday, October 3rd, 2020 AT 10:46 AM (Merged)
Check for power then check ground make sure you are getting both. See pic
DEMATH65
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
As my husband was driving down the highway his dash lights and tail lights go out. We have replaced the fuses, as we thought might be the problem. But as he drives the truck again the fuses blow out again. So we replace the fuses again. It is obvious that there is an electrical problem but what?
M_H_RITZEL
Start with your husband checking the tail lights to see if there are any broken or shorted wires. Remove the tail light bulbs and check the bulb sockets. sometimes the wires get corroded and can short out, The tail lights and the dash lights are on the same fuse.

Check out the guide below on using a volt meter

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

Wiring diagram is attached below
+1
MICHAEL MARQUES
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
Taillights keep blowing fuses.
SCGRANTURISMO

The taillight fuse keeps blowing because you have a short to ground in the circuit(s) that the fuse is protecting. In the diagrams down below I have included a diagram of your vehicle's Instrument Panel Fuse Box and callout as well as the Exterior Lighting wiring diagram for your vehicle and a guide for how to find short to grounds in an automotive electrical circuit. You will need to use a Digital Multi-meter (DMM) to do this, so here is a link for you to go to if you happen to be unfamiliar with how to use one:

Please go through these guides, if needed, and get back to us with what you are able to find out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
PRAPPL93
  • 1996 FORD RANGER
I have a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT without a towing package, and my tail lights have stopped working a couple of months ago, and I have just recently tried replacing them with new bulbs, but that didn't fix it. Not only did the tail lights go out, but the license plate lights are also not working. Both turn signals, backing-up lights, and brake lights are receiving electricity and functioning properly, but the tail lights and license plate lights aren't working. I have also checked the front lights, and the parking lights, low and high-beams are working. What could be the problem, and how could I fix it?
PROTECH1980
Do the dash illumination lights work? If so I suspect you have a broken wire somewhere underneath the truck, If you could I would get under the back and start checking for a break or rub thru in the harness, I can post a wiring diagram if you want to try and track it down.
+4
PRAPPL93
The dash illumination lights do work. I would greatly appreciate the wiring diagram so that I can check it out.
+2
PROTECH1980
See diagram:
+2
PRAPPL93
That image looks a bit small for me to read, could you possibly e-mail it to me at jworth93@gmail. Com?
PROTECH1980
Hey there, just wanted to see if you found out anything with the lights.
MURDOCK 1
  • 1995 FORD RANGER
  • 100 MILES
Changed headlights last weekend, then the dashboard cluster and tail lights went out including the amber running lights. I've checked the fuses and bulbs.
KEN

There is a parking lamp relay that is not working right. here is a guide to help confirm the issue by test and the location of the relay below in the fuse panels:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find.
MURDOCK 1
One of the headlights was out so I changed my bulbs. Ended up finding a 20 amp fuse blown. Traced the wire to a spot the wire was shorting against the frame. Repaired the wire and replaced the fuse and this solved the issue.
-1
MURDOCK 1
Thanks for the help. The forum definitely led me on the right track.
-1
KEN
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Sponsored links