Engine misfire

MAXOOM
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
Shows misfire on cylinder 6. New spark plugs and wires. What else could it be?
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 6:17 PM

MASTERTECHTIM

Lets start by checking the compression and the color of the spark plug which tells us if the injector is working. Here is a guide to help us get started.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-misfires-or-runs-rough

Please run down this guide and report back.
+1
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 6:27 PM
DWCROSSETT
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
Running really rough, engine light. Code says missing on cylinder 4. New plugs and wires. Works for about 5 miles starts to run rough again with engine light.

Going to run a compression check tonight. Possibly look at injectors and switch 1 and 4 to see what happens.

Anything else I'm missing. Missing cylinder error is pretty vague.
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 AT 6:26 PM (Merged)
BLACKOP555
Sounds like you got it well figured out.

Have you checked for spark on that cylinder?
JSTOKER06
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
I pulled the truck up to the gate and all of a sudden it started misfiring. Took it to autozone to have it tested and he said that cylinder 6 was mis firing. Replaced spark plugs and still have the same problem. I do not believe that it is the coil or the wires and we tested to make sure that all the cylinders had fire and they do.
Any help would be much appericiated. Also on the highway only misses at low rpm.
If you replaced the plug, the wire is good, the coil is good, and you are getting a hot spark at the correct time, there is one of two problems. First could be low compression in that cylender, which is hard to believe because of the low mileage. Or, you could have a plugged or damaged injector. Have you checked to see if the injector is getting a pulse?
D0SITMATR
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
Ok, long story short: 3 mos ago, I changed plugs n wires, during the swap, one of the new plugs ceramincs got cracked, so I used one of the old plugs that was still in almost new condition. about a month later, I get random bogging down, no torque, mostly during acceleration, but then started getting worse to where it could happen if on the highway passing someone. so I decided to start small and replace the 1 plug that was from the old batch. bought a new plug, put it in and the truck was acting really bad, like it was running on 5 cyl. so I took the new plug out and made sure it was seated properly, and not damaged. put back in, same thing. removed it again and put old plug back in, no change. but since it was getting really late, I could just detect spark coming from the cap on the plug. thought it was the wire, tried 4 different ones, same thing. this morning, took the plug out and the end had a decent amount of carbon buildup and from the threads to the igniter was really burnt pretty good. (see image) also noticed the ceramic now was cracked, put the new one back in, and the sparking from the plug cap went away, but still runs like on 5 cylinders.
completely at a loss.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/557528_ranger_plug_001_1.jpg

I need you to check the compression in that cylender. Also, let me know if there is any ticking or knocking in the engine?
D0SITMATR
No ticking or knocking, I will try and get a compression test in the next day or two.
Sorry, forgot to mention this is the 3.0L engine.
Not a problem on the engine size. We just need to determine if the compression is low, is it due to rings or valves.
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 AT 6:27 PM (Merged)
D0SITMATR
Ive been told by several other people it could be a clogged cat? Since the truck does have almost 170k and its the original cat (Im guessing as I bought it used) this sounds plausible?
Still waiting on the mechanic to be able to get me in for a compression test.
KBHATIA007
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
After a long dedicated 14 years, thhr ranger is beginning to act up. Have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs wires etc. But the engine seems to be missing firing on a cylinder when idling. When under power, it seems that the truck is going to buckle over and shudders very badly. The fuel pressure is good @45psi. The transmission has about 160000 on it. It was running ok till I decided to do some PM on it and has never been like before. Every mechanic has pointed in every different direction. The truck passed emissions with flying colors two weeks ago when the problem was intermittent. Now it is continuous. Compression in cylinder 3 is 75psi(as per the repair shop). What should I do next and what is the problem?
Thanks for your help.
BLACKOP555
260,000 miles is phenominal.

It may be time for a engine overhaul, sounds like the rings are wearing, how did a wet compression test handle? The pressure go up significantly?

75 is pretty low and will definetely make a missfire very noticble at low speeds.
Yes, the cat can have this affect. However, it will usually affect more than one cylender. It's worth checking.

Let me know.
KBHATIA007
Will be doing a wet test in a couple of days, but everybody wants me to swap the engine out, which I am very hesitant to do. Want to rebuild the head and the valves if that sounds like it will solve the problem. If the pressure comes up with the wet test then only I will swap the engine.(Indicating bad rings). We will know pretty soon.
D0SITMATR
Ok, so I feel like a complete buffoon.

Out of 4 plugs I tried, including a brand new one, only 1 of them came out to be any good.
The new one had a weak post, another had a hairline crack that was unnoticeable until you almost looked at it through a magnifying glass, the last failed one was the one in the pic supplied above.
The only reason I even bothered looking was due to checking to make sure the new one was seated correctly this morning, and that is how I found the post was weak. But my coil is still throwing a weak spark to one of the plugs anyways, so my guess is it was a combination of the two, 1 or the other by itself would allow the truck to run almost normal, but both together was killing it.
BLACKOP555
Rebuilding the heads as you suggest could work if the rings arent worn.

Might be time to checking the bearings also. The rings could be worn, the cylinders are probably worn.
Sorry about the delay in responding to you. I lost a family member and things have been.

Regardless, I'm glad it's fixed. As far as identifying that type of problem, anyone would have missed it. When you get new plugs, you don't expect them to be bad.

Take care and let us know if you have questions in the future.

KBHATIA007
Thanks blackop555 :-))
We will know better tomorrow after the wet test. I think that will decide if I need to swap the engine of work the valves and the heads. I really do appreciate your input. Let us wait and seee.
D0SITMATR
Joe, thank you for the help
I am truly sorry to hear of the loss, I hope your doing well.

Sincerely
Michael
JJMCINTOSH
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
I have a 2.3 5 speed ranger. My engine light came on, it said cylinder 1 misfire. I checked my spark plugs, got a spark, checked my wires, got a spark. Checked the coils, number 4 worked fine, but number 1 did not. However, on an ohm check, both coils got a good readout. If a coil gets a good readout, but is not firing, what could the problem be?