2000 Ford Ranger

DOGGONE
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
I was driving the other day while it was raining and my wipers quite working. I turned around to head home and my transmission started shifting rough, then the overdrive light started flashing. Before I made it to the driveway then the service engine light came on. I had a vehicle that did similar problem and it was the alternator. It was not the problem but I changed it anyway since the local autoparts store stated the diods were burned out. 2 weeks prior replaced battery.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009 AT 5:18 PM

JACK42
If the check engine light came on, have the PCM scanned for codes, it may give us a clue as to what happened. It should have recorded a code if it came on and the truck was still running. Have you looked for water in the underhood power center just to see if something got wet by chance? So now the alt is working?
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 8:23 AM
DOGGONE
Sorry to take so long to respond. Tried to get mechanic to come to my residents to do a code ck. They only wanted to tow me in then give ck, so I bought a machine myself. The code read PO500 Generic speed sensor A malfuction transmission. Please tell me the location in the transmission (style 'T') and from what year to what year is tranny is compatible. My original email stated that transmission (automatic) was shifting rough, speed odometer quit working, overdrive light was flashing, windshield wipers quit wkg//Thanking you in advance for your help
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 5:26 PM
JACK42
That code points to a malfunction in theVSS (vehicle Speed Sensor)This will make the speedo not work and the trans shift erratic or abnormal. I would start by removing it and check the gear in the trans. If ok, you may just need a new VSS (Located in tailshaft of trans)
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 8:35 PM
DOGGONE
I changed out the VSS, which according to others on this particuler 2000 model ford ranger is not located the the trans. But in the rear end. I changed the sensor and I still have the same prob, I disconnected the battery and had my PBDII reset the trouble code. Any clues?
Friday, January 23rd, 2009 AT 10:32 AM
DOGGONE
Reply: Trouble code was po500-which I think indicated the speed sensor on the rear axle which I replaced and still have the same prob, illregular trans. Shift, overdrive light blinking, speed odo. Not working. It is s 3.0L engine with a model "T" tranny
Friday, January 23rd, 2009 AT 3:00 PM