1999 Ford Ranger 181000 miles w 4.0 V6

STEVEKATH
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
I just had the engine replaced and the mechanic told me that since the computer had been unhooked for almost 2 weeks that the computer had been completely erased of history and that it would take about 30 miles of driving for it to relearn fuel mixtures, idle settings, driving patterns etc. Well, I have logged about 60 miles and it still won't idle. If you take your foot off the gas the rpms drop right down to below 300 and it stalls. The only way I have been able to drive it and keep it running when I slow down or stop is to left foot brake and keep the rpms between 600 and 1000. Do I just keep driving it because the computer needs more time, is there another way of resetting it, or should I take it back to the mechanic because it's a different problem?
Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 10:30 PM

STEVEKATH
I took it back to the mechanic who said he knew what it had to be if the computer didn't reset by then. He pulled the idle air control valve and cleaned it up, put it back on. When that didn't fix it he tested it by plugging his machine into the computer which told him that it wasn't working. I went out and bought another one and slapped it on in about two minutes and fired it up and it's running great. Just a note on for anyone who reads this and is interested. A few days after that was fixed I stopped somewhere with my truck and when I went to start it I got that click with no vroom and realized that my starter was deciding to go bad. I found something to tap on it with crawled under and tapped and it started. I just figured another one of those coinsidentals. I didn't have time till the weekend to work on it so when it started great and when it didn't, tap tap. When I called the auto parts place to see if they had one in stock and to confirm that the starter could draw down the battery which I noticed was happening as I was driving it Sat. Morning, he said make sure you check the connections as a Ford system has to have everything right to work properly. Also, he said if the battery is run down the alternator no longer charges it back up and to get it charged up first or it would ruin the alternator. End of story, loose wire, battery charged and everything working well. He saved me $133 on the starter and probably an alternator as well.
Saturday, May 5th, 2007 AT 8:24 PM