1997 FORD RANGER STUCK EMERGENCY BRAKE

• jjgourley
  • 1997 Ford Ranger

Brakes problem
1997 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 163000 miles

How difficult is it to fix a stuck e-brake? Truck sits outside in SoCal, daily driver, set e-brake yesterday, and this morning I released the brake from the lever on the inside of the cab (heard the regular 'thumb') but emergency brake remained engaged. I see the e-brake line goes directly into the driver's side rear brake system, but no idea if I can get to it and fix it by just removing the tire or would I need to open up the brake "drum/system" to solve the problem. Thanks for the assistance.

Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 11:54 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

Yes, you need to remove the brake drum. What I would recommend is to lift the rear of the truck and see which side is locked up. By doing that, you will know what side to work with. Chances are the rear brake cable will need replaced. It isn't too hard to do.

Check it and let me know what you find so I can help you figure out the best way to deal with it.

Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 8:09 PM
  • jjgourley

Joe,

It was the driver-side rear tire. Removed the drum and sprayed some handy WD-40 to ensure all the rust turned a beautiful dark brown, wiggled, and banged the (rotor?) And it came loose. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Monday, February 8th, 2010 AT 9:51 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

I'm glad you got it fixed. Let us know if you have any questions in the future, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 AT 12:49 AM