ODOMETER PROBLEM

1996 Ford Ranger

galaxyhunter

February, 22, 2009 AT 1:21 PM

1996 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger with an odometer problem. I replaced the instrument cluster and it worked briefly and then quit once again. I went to a local AutoZone to see if there was perhaps a sensor that was the problem, They told me it used a cable, but when I replaced the cluster there was no attachment for a cable that I was aware of. The speedometer works just fine, at this point I am stumped here. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. I did notice that in an earlier post about having to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump, way to much trouble. Simply take the 4 or 6 hex bolts out of the bed and get a friend to help lift the bed off the frame and there she is, easy to get to. I have had to do it this. The bed is relatively light but kinda bulky.

Odometer Stopped

Speeodmeter And Odometer

February, 23, 2009 AT 2:22 PM

Hi galaxyhunter,

Thank you for the donation.

The speedometer and odometer uses the same signal input from the speed sensor and your symptoms description indicates a faulty gauge. Did you replace with a new or used meter cluster?

The data I have shows the speed sensor is electrical.

Doesn't removing the bed involves disconnecting wire harness etc?

galaxyhunter

February, 23, 2009 AT 4:21 PM

I replaced the cluster with a used one from a salvage yard. Can you even get a new one anymore for a 1996 model? I figured it was a sensor rather than a cable. As far as the bed is concerned, yes there is a harness to disconnect but is very easy to do. I dreaded dropping the fuel tank so I took the bed off instead.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

February, 24, 2009 AT 7:04 AM

Since it is a used meter, I believe you can get a replacement as the purchased one seems faulty as well.

New meters should be available at the dealer but it is not going to be cheap.

So a great job done on the fuel pump replacement. Cheers.

galaxyhunter

February, 24, 2009 AT 7:49 AM

Thanks for the advise, this is a good place for info you need. I will check into new instrument cluster.

Take Care!

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue