1994 Ford Ranger Cranks but won't start

ASOUZA1029
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
Recently, my ranger died in the middle of the road while I was driving. After trying to jump it on several occasions, the truck would still not start. The engine cranks at full power when the ignition is turned to start, but it will not start. My guess is either the fuel pump, or sending unit or fuse for it, or the spark plugs. But I would very much like a second opinion on this matter.
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 5:16 PM

Do below

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 6:09 PM
52D
Check your fuzes frist and switch the relay in the box under for fuel pump with another in the box to see if the relay is the problem. When you first turn the key on, you should be able to hear the pump. ---Fuel pump is a fair bet, note that the wires will sometimes rust out. Easiest way to get at it is to remove the bed. Remove the gas cap and 3 screws by it (don't put the cap back on or it will hang up later ) note this is a good time to look at the filler tube and see if it needs to be replaced soon, cracking, its $300 from dealer or about $60-70 on ebay , then remove the bed bolts and unplug the wires at connector at front of box the the bed should lift off with no problem ( 2 person job ) an electric impact with right torx socket works best.
Now you have easy access to top of tank to replace sending unit and pump or pull unit and replace just pump. Trust me dropping the tank is 10x more trouble than removing the bed.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 9:22 AM