1991 Ford Ranger Won't idle

BLADEBOY2025
  • 1991 FORD RANGER
I have a 91 Ford ranger that will start and die. If I bounce the gas I can keep it running. The truck will run with the MAF disconnected, but I've replaced this and it still has the same issue. Any ideas?
Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 10:06 AM

Check and test the Idle air bypass valve, PCV and EGR valves, BMAP sensor /throttle position sensor
Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 12:16 PM
BLADEBOY2025
Those were my next guesses, I really need a chilton. Maybe I could just carb it, HA! EGR is under the manifold, so I think I will check for that last. Any place online I can get resistance and voltage specs for a 91 ranger?
Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 1:55 PM
Raise the idle thru a air valve screw or the throttle screw if it has one and see what happens.
Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 4:58 PM
BLADEBOY2025
Alright, the idle adjustment didn't change the problem same clunking at idle, I set the butterfly slightly open with the screw and did a voltage check on the TPS. No dice. I'm going to take the IAC off and check for movement, after that I can only assume EGR or bad injectors.

One strange thing it does is, when the gas is touched the RPMs jump about a 1k and stay there for a few before it drops back down to a death chug.

No codes until the engine dies.
-1
Monday, December 14th, 2009 AT 12:05 PM