1989 FORD RANGER MAP SENSOR

• JMatousek
  • 1989 Ford Ranger

1989 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

Can a backyard mechanic like myself replace a MAP sensor on an 1989 Ford Ranger with a V-6? The dealer wants almost $300.00 to do the job with almost $220.00 in labor I know everyone has to eat but I think that this is excessive

Thanks Joe

Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 12:19 PM

• thetoolman

Yes you should be able to change this yourself. Look for the vaccum routing diagram under your hood. The actual name is a VECI Vehicle Emissions Control Information Label. This diagram should tell you where the MAP sensor is located. It usually only has two screws a vaccum line and an electrical connector. Real easy to change. Good Luck

Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 11:26 AM
  • Dave H

Just a little add on to the toolmans post !

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor
MAP sensor measures absolute pressure of mixture in intake manifold and sends a proportional signal to the ECA. It is mounted on right inner fender for 5.0L engine and left inner fender for all others. A vacuum hose is connected between the sensor and the intake manifold.

Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 11:53 AM
  • thetoolman

Thanks for the extra info Dave.

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 1:56 PM