Brakes dragging

CAP
  • 1984 FORD RANGER
Hi there this is my first time here. Have a? About my 1984 ford ranger. When I first go to drive it it is hard to go forwards like it is being held back but moves nice ine revirse. It is a standard and the e-brake is off. It is a v6. Seems once I go backwards for a bit then I can go forwards. And once the truck is warmed up. Any help on this problem. Thanks :)
Wednesday, February 7th, 2007 AT 8:18 AM

HRYK2646
It sounds like your clutch is slipping, may need new one, or may need ajustment. You said its manual tarnny right?
Ray
Thursday, February 8th, 2007 AT 5:13 PM
CAP
Found the problem it was a seized wheel cylinder on the back drum. Thanks for the help hryk2646
Friday, February 9th, 2007 AT 8:01 AM
JJBACKMAN
  • 1993 FORD RANGER
Brakes problem
1993 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

I have replaced all new rear brakes in my truck and the one side seems to lock up and drag going forward. When I spin the wheel while on the jack there is no resistence rolling backwards, but then there is when I spin it forward?Do I have the shoes backwards or something?
Saturday, December 2nd, 2017 AT 2:53 PM (Merged)
OBXAUTOMEDIC

It is a possibility. I would suggest you take the other side off and look at it and compare the problem side.

Take a look at each part especially the steel bar at the top that goes between the shoes. Also check the e-brake components.

.
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Here's a diagram...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_93rangershoes_1.jpg

.
RONSON
  • 1991 FORD RANGER
On my 1991 ford ranger the front brakes seem to apply real hard the first two or three stops when starting out. Then you can hear them drag for about the first half a mile or so then they seem to work OK. Would this be a master cylinder or booster problem. I need to correct this problem before I install new brakes as it is wearing them pre maturely.
ASEMASTER6371
Do the wheels spin freely when cold?

RONSON
Yes they spin free when cold. After you drive the first time you apply the brakes they almost lock and do not release fully untill you drive about a quarter of a mile
RONSON
  • 1991 FORD RANGER
ASEMASTER6371
I would have the rotors checked for warpage and out of round. Check the brake hoses as well.