Power Seat Problem on 1996 Mustang GT

CHOGG
  • 1996 FORD MUSTANG
I just purchased a 1996 Mustang GT and the power seat on the drivers side is not working properly. I can adjust the height using the power seat controls but cannot adjust the seat forward and backwards. Is there a way to bypass the power seat adjuster and adjust the seat manually? I just need to move the seat forward a few inches and leave it that way. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Tuesday, June 27th, 2006 AT 6:44 PM

TAURUSWHEEL
I don't believe there is a way to manually adjust the seat, however diagnosis of the power seat, if you have accesss to a shop manual, can be done with a digital voltmeter. Problem is either a bad motor, control switch, or a wiring issue. There is a way to jump the terminals of the connector to take the switch out of the circuit, but I'm not definite on the pins to use on your car model.
+1
Tuesday, June 27th, 2006 AT 11:24 PM
CHOGG
Thanks so much for your reply. I just bought a Haynes Repair Manual but it did not include anything on the seats. I did not receive the original manual when I purchased the car so I will have to check and see if I can get one.

I can tell you that I can use the controls and the power seat motor will engage and run but will not move the seat back or forward.

So that makes me think that the wiring is ok and the control switch may be alright since it will engage the power seat motor. However the motor will not move the seat. The motor seems to work fine while raising and lowering the seat or while engaging the lumbar support.

I'm not sure if the seat is jammed and this prevents the motor from moving the seat forwarded or if the motor is just defective.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Wednesday, June 28th, 2006 AT 12:55 PM
TAURUSWHEEL
Check to make sure nothing is jammed in the seat track, owner manuals won't tell you anything about non-working seats.
+1
Wednesday, June 28th, 2006 AT 6:05 PM
CHOGG
I checked the seat track and everything seems to be clear. Not sure where to begin now any suggestions?
+1
Thursday, June 29th, 2006 AT 6:52 AM