CATALYTIC CONVERTER

2003 Ford Mustang

MustangGuy90

Other Category problem
2003 Ford Mustang 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

This car I have is a show car first off but I drive it often also. So I bought a flame kit for my exhaust system for shows. I recently had it converted to true dual with two catalytic converters on each side and flowmaster mufflers. When I got the box for the flame kit it said to remove the catalytic converters for maximum experience. So I just wanted to ask what would happen to my car if I did remove the catalytic converters and if it would even run. So if you could answer this for me that would be great. And by the way thank you.

merlin2021

Well it will run, however it won't pass emmisions test, and you will have check engine light on all the time! Catalist efficiency codes will set! Check with the manufacturer if they will gaurantee your converters if you leave them on.

merlin2021

January, 27, 2008 AT 9:00 AM

From: MustangGuy90
To: merlin2021
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9: 19 am
Subject: Catalytic Converter
Ok so the check engine light will be on, but will it do anything the performance of the car like: slower acceleration or anything?

Probably! It's going to affect air duel mixtures! 02 sensors will be inaccurate on the downstream sensors, it will be trying to cut fuel!

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen