1997 Ford Mustang bad IAC?

• 1 POST

1997 Ford Mustang V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 103000 miles

Hi, I have recently purchased this car a couple weeks ago and have noticed that it idles extremely high, and when shifting the rpms hang at about 3 grand. This is annoying because you have to shift really slow, cause the car jerks pretty bad if you dont. I have already checked for vaccum leaks and pulled the IAC off and cleaned it with no succes. I have heard about making a new gasket with a smaller hole for less air flow and was thinking about trying that but im kind of a little leery about it. Should I try it, or just buy a new one? Thanks a lot

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 5:18 PM

Get a new one or do below

Here's how to clean the IAC valve:

Disconnect the air intake ductwork from the throttle body.

Start the engine, then increase and hold the idle speed to 1,000 to 1,500 rpm.

Spray the throttle cleaner or engine cleaner into the throat of the throttle body, aiming for the idle air bypass port (usually located on the side or top of the throttle body opening). Give this area a good dose of cleaner (about 10 second's worth).

Turn the engine off to allow the cleaner to soak into the IAC passageway.

Wait about three minutes.

Restart the engine, rev and hold at 1,000 to 1,500 rpm, and repeat the cleaning process again.

Turn the engine off again, and reattach the air intake ductwork to the throttle body.

Start the engine and rev and hold to 1,500 to 2,000 rpm until no white smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipe.

If this fails to make any difference, you can remove the IAC valve from the throttle body and spray cleaner directly on the tip of the valve and/or into the ports in the throttle body. Let the cleaner soak awhile, repeat as needed, then reinstall the IAC valve, start the engine and run it at 1,500 to 2,000 rpm as before until no white smoke is seen in the exahust.

If the idle speed still surges after this, the IAC valve is defective and needs to be replaced.

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 5:34 PM