STARTER REPLACEMENT

1983 Ford Mustang

esachor

February, 27, 2008 AT 3:18 PM

1983 Ford Mustang 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 86,000 miles

I have installed 6 (that's six!) Re-manufactured starters into my car in the last six weeks. They act perfectly for the first three or four starts, then, they will not grab the flywheel. They start making whatever kind of noise and might. Catch and start, but then just spin. I have been told that during this period, (1983), that there may have been a different head on the starter that meshes properly with the flywheel and that that is not the case with current re-man's. Is this possible and if so, where do I find the proper starter? Tired of sinking money into it with same results. Replaced solenoid, cables, battery, alternator, regulator. Everything working good except starter. Pulling my hair out. Any help?

Jack42

February, 27, 2008 AT 5:57 PM

I would start by removing the starter and inspecting the teeth on the flywheel. You may have ground a few teeth up and need to replace the flexplate (flywheel to an auto trans). This can ruin the new bendix on your starters

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000