OIL PRESSURE

1971 Ford Mustang

rjones11111

October, 4, 2010 AT 2:14 PM

1971 Ford Mustang V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 99000 miles

71 Mach 1 429 super cobra jet
While driving about 3000rpm with engine already warm the oil pressure started slowly dropping and in 5 minutes had dropped to zero. The heat indicator did not show a increase and there was no difference in engine sound so I kept driving and the pressure started coming back and showed one half of what it normally shows. I drove it about two miles to home and turned it off.
Could this be something other than the oil pump or the gauge. I have also noticed sometimes when I turn on the lights that the engine temperature will increase. Is there an electrical component that can affect the gauge readings?
How can I trouble shoot the oil pressure problem?

October, 4, 2010 AT 3:55 PM

Hi rjones11111, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, remove the oil pressure switch and install gauge-if normal replace the oil pressure switch. If abnormal could mean oil pump and engine bearings. Check the engine temperature gauge sender

Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet