1966 FORD MUSTANG CAR DIES AFTER ONE MINUTE

• durant9999
  • 1966 Ford Mustang

1966 Ford Mustang 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 162000 miles

Hey everyone.

My 66' mustang will start sometimes right away sometimes after a great deal of effort. It runs for a minute (seems like revving too much) then it will slow strat to run rougher and rougher over the course of a minute until it dies.

I had a loose tail pipe fitting at the manifold which I corrected. While I was underneath the car, I notice a small hole on the bootom of the manifold which looked like it fitting for a tube or something, but had nothing attached to it.

By the way I, I sealed off the vent rod with JB weld. I had read on here and heard from a tech that this was okay since the vent rod is only shock absorber for the accelerator pump.

Thanks,

Jim

Monday, August 11th, 2008 AT 10:06 AM

• Jack42

You should never seal a vent on a carb. Sounds liek you may have a carb that has a float level to high. Does it dump fuel into the carb when running? Have you tried spraying carb cleaner around the base of the carb to see if it has a vacuum leak?

Monday, August 11th, 2008 AT 2:23 PM