OIL CHANGE PROBLEM

Ford Focus

temily

April, 10, 2006 AT 12:11 PM

I recently had the oil changed in my 2005 Ford Focus Wagon (ZXW) and shortly after leaving the dealership I noticed blue smoke coming from the back of the car. I had the car towed back to the dealership where they discovered that one of the technicians had put in an extra quart of oil (6 quarts instead of 5). They have drained off the excess oil. My question is, is there any damage that could have occurred with this, and if so, what should I have the dealership do to fix this damage?

Thanks!

Blue Smoke

Blue Smoke

peppermrj

April, 10, 2006 AT 12:27 PM

Highly debated topic. A slight overfill won't hurt anything. They allow for about an extra half quart. More than that and the oil will have to go somewhere. I have always felt that this is how a gasket starts to leak. Again much debate on the subject.

Keep an eagle eye out for leaks (blown gaskets) and more smoke (probably valve seals). Have them repaired as necessary.

Keep your documentation on what happened for later problems. Some dealers have short memories if it costs them money.

Good luck and let us know. : )

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8