SOHC ENGINE KNOCK

2002 Ford Focus

Valkyrie

April, 3, 2009 AT 7:53 AM

2002 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 94,000 miles

I am getting a rather loud engine knock. It sounds like it is coming from the top end of the motor. Has there been a problem with the Focus that may cause this? Where should I begin to look? I changed the spark plugs and wires. No. 4 plug was a little wet. No. 1, 2, 3 looked okay.

blackop555

April, 5, 2009 AT 9:01 AM

4 was wet with what? Oil? Gas?

Have you checked your oil level?

Valkyrie

April, 6, 2009 AT 8:06 AM

No. 4 plug appeared to be wet (damp) with gas. I had just changed the oil about a week prior to this and the oil level is good.

blackop555

April, 6, 2009 AT 6:58 PM

Disconnect knock sensor and see if problem gets better or worsens.

Any check engine light?

Valkyrie

April, 7, 2009 AT 4:39 AM

The check engine light did come on. No. 2 & No. 3 cylinders are misfiring. I did check and change the timing belt and tensioner but this didn't change anything. No. 2 & 3 plugs are wet (appears to be oil). I was able to drive it slowly to a repair shop so they can help me diagnose the problem.

blackop555

April, 7, 2009 AT 6:30 PM

Let me know if you want to check up on their prices and diagnostics to let you know if its a good word!

blackop555

April, 7, 2009 AT 6:31 PM

Valkyrie

April, 8, 2009 AT 5:28 AM

The diagnostic test revealed that there is no compression on No. 3. I was told there is probably a seat/seal on one of the valves that may have become dislodged. I am going to pull the head and take it to a machine shop. I was given a price of $325-350 to have the head rebuilt.

blackop555

April, 8, 2009 AT 1:44 PM

That is a very very good price to have the heads rebuilt.

There is nothing wrong with that and that is a possibility for your problem. Did a wet and dry compression test get performed on that cylinder?

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i