2000 FORD FOCUS ENGINE STALL AT STOP

• x3rolink
  • 2000 Ford Focus

2000 Ford Focus 4 cyl Automatic 106000 miles

my engine is stalling when I come to a full stop. It also has a hard time accelerating and going up hills. I feel it is probably the fuel injector, or possibly the spark plugs. When check engine light went on, and i've take out the spark plug connector and found as least 1/2 cup of water inside. I took out the water and the check engine light went off, (maybe went off then I disconnected the battery?) But I still have the same symptoms. I've gotten this car used last year, and dont know if I should change timing belts or whatnot

Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 7:55 PM

• Wrenchtech

You shouldn't change anything until you get it diagnosed properly. I'm not sure where you found that water but if your losing coolant, then pressure test the cooling system. It sounds like a compression test should be in order too.

Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 8:03 PM
  • x3rolink

Will do a diagnostic check. As for coolant, it was very low when I got my car a week ago (was out of state for 3 months and a friend drove it), so I filled it to nominal amount, and so far it seems to be the same.

I'm sorry, i'm still getting into the car talk lingo here, what does the " compression test" test?

Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 10:37 PM
  • Wrenchtech

I'm sorry and I don't want to be mean but if your not familiar with the term " compression test" then you will really would need to recruit some experienced help because this diagnosis will be far beyond your abilities.

Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 6:34 AM
  • x3rolink

Yea. Actually I just googled it, and it seems doable. But thanks, I just wanted another opinion before I take it in the shop. I was hoping that it might have been the spark plugs, but im thinking I really should do a diagnostic check before diving in to repair.

Oh and also, my engine shakes alot at idle, and most of the time it stalls, and the rpm is below the 1 at idle. I dont know if that anything. And also, there is hesitation when I try to accelerate, to a point where I sometimes floor the gas and it doesnt respond right

and thanks, this is all new learning experience for me

Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 8:40 AM