ABS light on

JILANGSTON
  • FORD F-350
I have a 2000 crew cab diesel pickup. It has 13,400 miles on it currently. Recently the ABS light on the dash has begun to stay illuminated. I took it to a service place and was told that the high mounted third brake light had burned out and had probably tripped the code. All brake components were checked and said to be in good condition. I replaced the light. The ABS light in the dash now goes out for a brief moment at startup the then stays on again. Do I need to take the truck into a Ford dealer to have the ABS reset, or is it more likely that there is still something else wrong? And is there a way to reset the ABS system at home without any fancy tools?
Sunday, June 11th, 2006 AT 4:03 PM

TAURUSWHEEL
It sounds like you have an ABS wheel speed sensor that is out. Here is a video that shows how to confirm which wheel has failed:

https://youtu.be/rTtAnsOlZU4

If you do not have a scanner you can do it manually.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/abs-wheel-speed-sensor-test

Please run down these guides and report back.

Cheers
Sunday, June 11th, 2006 AT 11:37 PM
JEFFLEEPER
I had this problem it was the right front sensor when out because the bearings went out. Cost me $230.00 its all fixed. :) I love this site.
Saturday, July 14th, 2018 AT 6:37 PM
BILLK76904
  • 1993 FORD F-350
On the way to our ranch yesterday I found that the ABS light on my dash had begun to blink steadily. When I stopped to do anything outside of the truck the light would sometimes stop but for the most part kept blinking. When I shut the truck off altogether and later restarted it after maybe fifteen to twenty minutes the light stayed off for a while until I had made it a mile or two down the road. It was very intermittent. The check engine light has been doing the same thing for much longer but our mechanic said nothing turned up on the code cache when he checked it a few months back. Is it possible with all the bumping along off road I have some bad connections or would these be bonafide trouble lights?

4/21 - As an update to this I was watching the ABS light flash this weekend and found that it blinks sixteen times and then pauses for a second before it starts again. Is this a code or is it due to the computer running on a base 16 system? I work with desktop computers but do not know much about automotive computers.
Saturday, July 14th, 2018 AT 8:54 PM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
I am going to do a little research on this.

Code 16 means the system is okay, but let me get more information.

Should check the computer codes again though.

To check the ABS codes, put the ignition switch to "run" position. Disconnect the two halves of the RABS diagnostic connector. Attach one end of a jumper wire to the black with orange stripes wire side of the diagnostic connector. Ground the opposite end of the jumper to a good chassis ground for two seconds. This should start the RABS lamps on the cluster flashing.

It will come in a series of short flashes, followed by a long flash and then repeat itself. The code is determined by the number of short flashes plus the long flash.

Post the code and we can go from there.
BILLK76904
I will try your test request tonight when I get home if I can find the RABS connector. Not sure of its location but I think I have a repair manual for the truck, I think. I may be thinking of another truck we had long ago.

Thanks.
BILLK76904
Need to locate RABS connector. One picture I found on the net said it was under the dash to the left of the instrument cluster but did not see anything I could readily identify there. Where is the connector you spoke of on a 1993 F-350?

Thanks.
SERVICE WRITER
The RABS connector is under the far side of the instrument panel, below right bottom corner of the glove box.
BILLK76904
Okay, thanks. I will have to get to it a bit later. We had to leave the truck at the ranch yesterday because it would not start due to bad battery cables. The local Ford parts distributor only stocks the positive cable so I hope that is all I will need. When I get that little problem fixed I will check the RABS location. Just hope it did not break over an ant bed because I will have to crawl under it to work on the starter connection.

Thanks, I appreciate your time.
Dana
BILLK76904
Okay, the new positive cable is in and the truck is back at the house. Found the RABS test point, grounded the black with green stripe wire for two seconds with the ignition on and the ABS flashes did not change. Turned the ignition off and then back on again, grounded the RABS wire and left it grounded and still no change. In both instances the light flashes 16 times and then pauses a second then starts over again.

This weekend I did notice that the front left rotor/caliper assembly seems to be grinding. This is either because of all the mud we went through with all the rains this past weekend or the extra load from the trailer full of livestock we were pulling finally pushed the pads over the edge and they need changing. There is no squealing or loss of stopping ability, though, just a grinding sound when the brake is applied and there is not much road noise to hear it.
BILLK76904
I replaced some badly worn out brake pads on the front disc brakes yesterday but the ABS light still blinks the 16 times and then repeats.

I was wondering where the ABS sensor connects to the brake system in this truck. I bought a Haynes manual to make sure I did the brake pad replacement correctly but there is very little in it about ABS and zero information about this particular signal.

Any ideas out there? I see the 'reads' for this submission have increased some so if anyone out there has any ideas I would sure appreciate some information.

Thanks.
MERLIN2021
You ground the black and orange, or the ABS system can be damaged. SW did say black/orange.
BILLK76904
I believe the other wire was red, or at least mono-colored, so whatever it was - black with orange or black with green - was the one I grounded. I had been standing on my head for a while trying to see and work on the connection but I realize the importance of grounding the correct wire. The connection was just one wire on both sides. This is what the test point is supposed to be? I will double check the colors again tonight when I get home.

Thanks.
CROWNVIC1993
Hello, Can I use this test method on my 1993 Crown Victoria ABS?

TIA
KEN
Yes, you can, but please start a new question if you want more information.

Please post your question here:

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/new

Cheers, Ken
Saturday, July 14th, 2018 AT 8:55 PM (Merged)