F350 HARD PEDAL BUT NO PANIC BRAKING

1997 Ford F-350

KevinKelly

October, 30, 2009 AT 6:42 AM

Brakes problem
1997 Ford F350 V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual 179000 miles

Initially, brake pedal was getting harder to push and the panic braking was getting less and less. Replaced booster, and it made pedal harder and had no effect on panic braking. Replaced booster again in case first one was bad. Pedal is harder still and absolutely no panic braking now. What have I done wrong or failed to do?

seeuusee

June, 17, 2011 AT 1:56 PM

I would check the vacum pump located just above the power steering pump on the driver side of the engine!

Docfixit

June, 17, 2011 AT 2:20 PM

Gas or diesel?

seeuusee

June, 17, 2011 AT 5:06 PM

Diesel's have vacum pumps due to the lack of vacum on the intake and most of them being turbo that would have positive pressure at the intake instead of vacum!

seeuusee

June, 17, 2011 AT 5:45 PM

Older chevy's had what was called the hydro brake system that ran off the power steering pump on the trucks if the power steering pump was low or defective you would have a hard brake pedal however the diesel cars in the earlier 80's had a vacum pump it was located on the back side of the intake at the firewall! And they were notorious for failing! Hope this helps!

Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement