1999 Ford F-250 power loss

ACE1991-2009
  • 1999 FORD F-250
I have a 1999 ford f-250 with 198000 miles on it, when you drive down the road it bogs down and is really slow. I already replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and cat converter. I've checked all 8 coils and they are good, and the plugs are in great shape. I also noticed that when you floor it the engine misses and loses power and then wont go over 3000 rpm, it kicks down every time I try to rev it. Check engine light is on so I checked it out and only one code came back, it was the EGR vale code. Would that be causing this problem? What do you think will solve this power loss because it is very apparent and its driving me crazy!
Sunday, June 1st, 2008 AT 2:52 AM

MERLIN2021
There are a few EGR codes, but if it sticks open it can cause your problems. Can you post the code?
Was it P0402? Exccessive flow?
Sunday, June 1st, 2008 AT 6:21 AM
ACE1991-2009
I cant remember the EGR code but it did say excessive flow. Where is the EGR valve located, and is there anyway I can check it before buying a new one for $80.00?
Sunday, June 1st, 2008 AT 12:04 PM
ACE1991-2009
Is there anyway to clean the EGR valve or fix it without buying a new one so I can make sure that is the problem?
Sunday, June 1st, 2008 AT 2:15 PM
ACE1991-2009
I also notice the transmission doesn't shift right, i'm not sure if this problem is related to the power loss or not
Sunday, June 1st, 2008 AT 2:18 PM
ACE1991-2009
Would vacuum leaks have anything to do with these two problems, I checked for leaks but may have missed one.
Sunday, June 1st, 2008 AT 2:20 PM
MERLIN2021
You may have a vacuum leak, get a can of spray gumout, spray the vac lines and maniflod area, when the idle changes, youve found the leak! You want the engine running and spray on the outside but do direct the stream onto the hoses, if it is a vacuum leak, the engine idle will change speed, then you have detected a leak, repair the vacuum leak and see how it runs! If that doesnt do it, you may need a new idle air control valve, it's bolted to the throttlebody
Use a vauum tester and see if the EGR open hold vauum, and closes. Its on the back side of the engine, you want to look at the solinoid too!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_EVR_4.jpg

This controls the opening and closing of the EGR, its the EVR
Monday, June 2nd, 2008 AT 5:27 AM