FORD F150 LCD ODOMETER

• Mjdavies
  • 1915 FORD F-150

I have a 2005 Ford F150 STX with 40,000 miles. My LCD odometer has flickered on and off sporadically for a while. Now it Is completely blank. (It lights up though). It seemed to flicker on and off when I opened the rear passenger door but this may just be a coincidence. My local ford service tell me tht I need to replace the whole instrument cluster.(They haven't even looked at the car). I this a common problem and is there a way to fix it?

Thursday, June 14th, 2007 AT 4:31 PM

• Service Writer

It's possible that there is a circuitry problem which may include a loose or corroded connector. If this is something you want to tackle, let me know and we'll give it a go. Fair chance that the cluster is bad. But you never know.

Thursday, June 14th, 2007 AT 7:50 PM
  • Service Writer

What size motor?

2wd or 4wd?

These may not matter, but have seen stranger!

Friday, June 15th, 2007 AT 7:45 AM
  • Crawdoogie

Yeah my F-150 had the same problem. While searching the internet I found that this is a very common problem with F-150 trucks. It seems that this is caused by a bad solder joint on the instrument panel circuit board. A detailed guide for a DIY fix can be found here:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

Worked for me!

Tuesday, November 13th, 2007 AT 10:45 PM
  • Hes37763

There is an excellent discussion of this solder joint problem and a do-it-yourself repair manual available at:

Saturday, November 24th, 2007 AT 1:08 AM

Other Instrument Cluster Gauge Odometer Replace/Remove Questions