Check engine light is flashing

HJWILTZ
  • FORD F-150
My check engine light is flashing. What might be the problem (s) that is causing this to happen?
Sunday, October 28th, 2007 AT 5:37 PM

INDYUKE
First off, what type of transmission do you have? Does it see a lot of hard use like hauling/towing or going over mountain passes.

Second, what is the fluid level like?
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007 AT 11:51 AM
INOVATANIA
The van is a 4.6L V8 with the tow package. It has gone over mountain passes on vacations but not on a regular basis and it has hauled trailers occassionally. The trailers were utility type and never exceded the tow weight limit and always towed on flat ground. The fluid level is fine.
Wednesday, August 15th, 2007 AT 11:12 AM
INDYUKE
Since the overdrive light is flashing that means the PCM has detected a fault in the transmission. Best bet would be to go and have the PCM scanned and get back to us with the results and we can go from there.

The reason I asked if the fluid level was ok was because low fluid levels could cause the symptoms you describe.
Thursday, August 16th, 2007 AT 3:11 PM
M_H_RITZEL
Remove the dipstick and check the color and smell of the transmission fluid, if it has a smell of being burnt or the color is a brownish color. With 148,000 miles of some light towing the filter and fluid could use a changing.
Thursday, August 16th, 2007 AT 3:41 PM
BMASTERJERRY
Change the filter and fluid. And maybe pray it ain't too late.
Thursday, August 16th, 2007 AT 9:38 PM
SERVICE WRITER
DAmage is being done to the converter. Probably a situation that is causing an excessive amount of fuel that is unable to be burned correctly. You do not want to drive it like this. Either get it checked out ASAP, or get the codes from the computer and I'll try to help.
Sunday, October 28th, 2007 AT 7:56 PM