2006 Ford F-150 Engine RPMs to low

• 1 POST
  • 2006 FORD F-150

2006 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 40000 miles

My F150 has started doing something funny every now and then when I approach a stop. Just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop, the RPM's dip down close to 300 for a split second and then bounce back up to normal range once stopped. It hasn't stalled yet, but in stop and go traffic, it is anoying. Every so often, the engine trouble light comes on the dash - I have a an Edge Lightning Performance Module / Engine Code Reader installed on the vehicle and the code that comes up reads "Misfire Hardware Monitor". Also, every now and then when I start the truck (cold start @ 15 degrees Celcius), the engine RPMs take a second to jump up to cold idle speed. It's hard to explain, but it almost feels like not all cylinders fire up at the same time. It lasts for 2 seconds and then all seems fine. I haven't had it checked out yet, but does anyone have an idea what could be at fault and what I should tell my mechanic? Again, it doesn't do it all the time - regardless of the temperature and conditions outside. Thanks, Andrew

Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 8:24 AM

You can try cleaning out the throttle bore with carb cleaner and a rag to see if it has excessive coking causing the slow idle response. If it is drive-by-wire(No throttle cable) you may have an issue with the throttle body, but if it has a throttle cable the IAC Valve (Idle Air Control valve) may be slow to respond, causing the dip in rpms. And slow response when first started.

Tuesday, January 19th, 2010 AT 8:10 AM