F150 NO 4X4

2004 Ford F-150

jkerr

September, 1, 2010 AT 9:11 AM

2004 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 107, 00 miles

Recently I have started to hear a rattling noise in the front end typically when I am in over drive and going up a hill before the transmission shifts down a gear. Since then I have noticed when I lock it into 4 wheel drive only the back tires are spinning. There aren't any noise out of the ordinary while in 4x4 other than the clicking noise when you first engage it, but I have heard that in the past. I was told that the rattling noise came from the front driver shaft rubbing on a heat shield that was bent, but I am now suspicious that there is much more wrong with the four wheel drive not working.

4 Wheel Drive

1 ANSWER

Jacobandnickolas

September, 1, 2010 AT 10:41 AM

Is that the only time you hear the noise? You mentioned that the 4wd isn't working. Have you checked for power to the actuator on the transfer case?

jkerr

September, 1, 2010 AT 11:43 AM

I hear the noise whenever I'm driving down the highway and there is more stress put on the engine (like going up a hill when the RPM's drop). I only hear it when it is in over drive. I just had a mechanic look at it a couple weeks ago and they didn't find anything other than a bent heat guard.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 1, 2010 AT 12:04 PM

Did he check to see if the catalytic converter or resinator are in good condition? Many times the insides will come loose and they will rattle inside.

I wish I could hear it. I could tell you in a second. Try this. Take a rubber mallot and tap on the exhaust system to see if you can recreate the sound.

Let me know what you find.

jkerr

September, 1, 2010 AT 1:16 PM

The noise sounds like if you were to put a BB into an empty beer can and bounce it around.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 1, 2010 AT 1:20 PM

Try what I said.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda
Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250