2002 Ford F-150 AC Shut off under load, will not turn on unt

BRAD COTNER
  • 2002 FORD F-150
My 2002 F150 Crew Cab AC works however when operation the engine under load the AC cuts out. Example of under load is passing on higway. The AC will start working again if you stop and turn off the engine and wait a short while. The AC will start working like new. I had the system vacumed tested on no leaks, recharged and all is suposed to ok. However it keeps happening, could it be a relay that cut out for the load requirements and does not reset until the car in turned off?
Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 2:53 PM

If the engine is overheating, it will shut down. When this happens, does the air just get warm, or does the fan direction change? Is the fan still blowing but not out the vents?
Friday, July 2nd, 2010 AT 9:29 PM
BRAD COTNER
The problem happens after the car and the AC have been running for approx. 1/2 hour. The engine temp is normal, the fan speed does not change and continues to blow out the vents, but the air is warm. I can shut off the car for 15-20 mins. And the AC works normal again.
-1
Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 7:42 AM
When this happens, does the AC compressor still cycle on and off?
+2
Tuesday, July 6th, 2010 AT 3:55 PM
BRAD COTNER
Don't know will have to check and let ou know.
-1
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 7:36 AM
Let me know if it is still cycling. It could be a bad AC clutch, cycle switch, or even something as simple as the blend door is closing and not allowing cold air to enter the vehicle.

Let me know.
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010 AT 11:51 PM
BRAD COTNER
Thanks for your help, I found the problem the condensor by the Radiator was full of dirt and high pressure side could not cool, clean and high pressure line return to normal operating temp.
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 8:17 AM
Good job. That would have been something that would have taken me a long time to figure out via the internet.

Take care and let us know if you have questions in the future.

Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 5:05 PM
DONWYMAN
I am having a similar problem with my 2002 F150 Super Crew. My A/C runs well except when the engine exceeds 1500rpm. Then my A/C doesn't push air into the cab but my defrosters start blowing. After the rpm's go below 1500 the A/C is fine. Any ideas?
+1
Thursday, September 6th, 2012 AT 12:23 AM