2002 Ford F-150 Rattle in gear with AC on

BEAGLEMAN_123
  • 2002 FORD F-150
Noises problem
2002 Ford F-150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

when the truck is ideling and placed in gear with the AC on there is a very loud rattle coming from the tensioner pulley. I have replaced the power steering pump, belt, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, and ac compressor clutch assembly. The noise will not stop. I am out of ideas on how to stop the noise but the tensioner pulley is visibly jumping and causing the rattle. Any ideas?
Friday, October 8th, 2010 AT 11:09 PM

Does this only happen with the AC on? Also, is the engine idle very low?
+1
Friday, October 8th, 2010 AT 11:58 PM
BEAGLEMAN_123
It does only happen when the ac is on. As far as the ideling it is normal.
Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 12:05 AM
The only thing I can think of is the AC compressor may be starting to lock up placing excessive tension on the belt. I say this based on the fact you have replaced all of the components that control the belt.
Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 1:04 PM
BEAGLEMAN_123
That is going to be my next attempt, I noticed a little play in the powersteering pump this morning so I exchanged it. After installation if the noise persists I am sure it is the compressor itself. Will update with results
Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 1:51 PM
Let me know what you find. Something seems to be putting too much of a load on it.
Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 11:02 PM
BEAGLEMAN_123
Double check with another store if you buy a belt from oreillys! After the replacement of tensioner pulley, idler pulley, air conditioner compressor, accumelater, power steering pump, and belt I still had the same problem. I started to dig a little deeper into my $900 worth of receipts and decided to double check all part numbers. Come to find out the belt that oreillys has listed for my truck is about 1/8in longer than what is required. This allowed just enough slack in the belt to allow the tensioner to bounce uncontrolably when the motor is in gear at idle but, a small enough difference to dismiss as a stretched belt which needs to be replaced on comparison. At this time I am infuriated with oreillys and will be there 1st thing in the morning to have a sit down with the manager.
Sunday, October 10th, 2010 AT 10:15 PM
Wow! I can understand you frustration and demand they return the money and your old (good) parts. They won't have them because they return the core. Then, I would demand the money back.

Let me know how you make out.
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 11:06 AM