2001 FORD F150 VACUUM LEAK?

• jerryaustin
  • 2001 Ford F-150

Heater problem
2001 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 185000 miles

My F-150 is not putting out the heat that it used to. Heat level is equivilant to having the knob at the 11 o'clock position when in full hot. I also have a problem with the distribution door switching to defrost from floor when I'm going up a hill. All this started at the same time. Any suggestions?

Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 AT 9:11 AM

• racefan966

It sounds like a heater blend door actuator problem. If you have a digital multi meter we can do some testing and make sure. Let me know what you want to do.

Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 AT 10:01 AM
  • jerryaustin

I do have a digital Multimeter. Be happy to troubleshoot with it. Please let me know what to do.

Thursday, February 11th, 2010 AT 5:08 PM
  • racefan966

We don't need the meter yet but will. First I need you to bring the truck to normal operating temp. Now Turn blower motor switch to low position. Turn selector switch to panel position (Max A/C position if you have A/C. Turn temp knob to full cool and check for cool air. Now turn temp knob to full warm check for warm air. Now rotate temp knob from full warm to full cold. If the temp don't change then I would like you to check fuse number 5 (15amp) in the in truck fuse box. Let me know what you find here and we will go from there.

Friday, February 12th, 2010 AT 10:29 AM
  • jerryaustin

Everything so far works as advertised. Except the temperature of the air. When adjusting temp control from Hot back to cool, results were immediate all the way thru the range of the knob. Just that it starts out cooler.

Saturday, February 13th, 2010 AT 3:49 PM
  • racefan966

If you would use the pic below to check the vacuum lines and make sure there are no crack in the rubber hoses as well as the plastic ones. If there are cracks in the plastic ones I would get rubber hose that will go over it, using it as a splice. Let me know what you find ok.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_200.jpg

Monday, February 15th, 2010 AT 10:47 AM
  • jerryaustin

Wish I could use the pic. Diagram itself is clear, but when I blow it up to make it legible as to where I'm going. Too much pixilation to read it. Any chance of emailing me a larger file. Actual size of this one is about 2x3. I understand the need to keep images small on the forum. If you need my email address. Let me know

Monday, February 15th, 2010 AT 7:47 PM
  • racefan966

Should be able to just pm me an e-mail address to send it to.

Tuesday, February 16th, 2010 AT 8:33 AM
  • jerryaustin

Can't pm you. Don't have 10 posts yet. Pbj892@verizon. Net

Tuesday, February 16th, 2010 AT 3:32 PM
  • racefan966

Ok it is sent hope this helps. Let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Wednesday, February 17th, 2010 AT 10:14 AM
  • jerryaustin

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/479893_Firewall_Manifold_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/479893_Extra_line_1.jpg

Couple questions, reference the pictures attached, so I can finish.

1. What are the two ...valves/manifolds on the firewall?
2. Is this a spare vacuum line installed in the harness?
3. Where is the reservoir and check valve?
4. Which vacuum line supplies vacuum to the Temperature blend door? I see electrical wires behind the knob.

Wednesday, February 17th, 2010 AT 4:57 PM